Friday, July 3, 2015

Tattooed Mommy: The Struggle is Real

I'm a fan of body art - I have tattoos on both of my arms, one of my legs, and one on my back.  I cover my tattoos up at work, but once I'm at home (and around my children) the long sleeves, pants, and bracelets are traded in for comfy clothes that don't need to cover up my "ink."


When my son was a toddler, I can remember him touching my tattoos with a quizzical look on his face as he proceeded to rub my wrist with his chubby little hand, trying to get my tattoo off of my skin... But as he's gotten older, I don't think my son even notices my tattoos anymore.  My four month-old daughter is just now starting to notice, and she too seems confused - but I know that confusion will soon fade as the tattoos become just another part of mommy.

With my kids, the issue isn't a big deal - I don't associate my tattoos with an "alternate lifestyle" choice, nor do I feel like I'm in some way different from those who choose not to get tattoos... But the unfortunate truth is that a few members of the "Mommy Brigade" don't agree.  It seems okay to them for Dad's to have body art, but us Mom's?  It just doesn't seem as accepted.  

Now I'm not trying to make generalizations - I know I'm not the only mom out there with tattoos and I know that mother's without body art aren't all overly judgmental about it... But there seems to be a view that some people have about the inappropriateness of tattoos on a mother's body that feel completely free to share their negative views with us "tattooed hoodlums" - The view that we need to cover them up around our kids.  That we need to tell our children that tattoos aren't okay.

Screw that.

The stereotype that "tattoos are for criminals and drug addicts" is an irresponsible one that I think motivates a lot of the negative thoughts toward body art... and please don't quote Leviticus - It speaks against the use of body art in pagan rituals, and I can assure you, I've never taken part in any ancient druidic rites of passage. 

Tattoos are a type of personal expression - just like this blog is.  Yes, they're permanent and need to be thought over carefully before committing to them.  But when a tattoo truly means something to you, it becomes as much a part of you as your skin was before the tattoo was put there.  My tattoos stand for my heritage, my desire for truth and joy in life, and my love of fantasy. How can those things corrupt my children?  I've even seen a Facebook group literally titled "Your Tattoos Make You A Horrible Mother" - Seriously??

Source Unknown (Share in Comments if you know!)

As my children grow my husband and I plan to encourage them to be who they truly want to be.  If that means body art, I'm fine with it.  If that means no body art, I'm fine with it.  For those parents out there who view my tattoos as inappropriate and turn their children the other way when the Jabberwocky tattoo on my leg is out for the world to see, know that you've got much bigger fish to fry than a harmless tattoo.  

This world is full of hateful and frightening things that we need to shield our kids from.  Worry about bigotry and teach your child to love others - not about a tattoo that is composed of imagery that neither hurts nor demeans anyone else.



http://topmommyblogs.com

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I actually just got my first tattoo and I know my family doesn't approve. I also agree that the thought that tattoos are just for drug dealers and criminals is crazy. The funny part is, I am a nurse, and I have a lot of nurse friends who have tattoos, some of which I just found out about. You never know that we have tattoos at work because they are covered up, but if we would be seen in public everyone would think we are troublemakers. I don't feel that a tattoo makes me a worse mother or a better mother, having a tattoo does not affect my parenting or how good of a nurse I am. My tattoo is something my sister and I went together to get. She lives 4 hours away (she is my half sister, my parents are divorced), and this was a way for us to be closer together without physically being closer. It is just an expression of my love for her and her love for me, that is it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete